Kraków UNESCO City of Literature announces the 2020 call for applications for the International Residency Program for writers and translators.
The Program is dedicated to all emerging writers, and poets working currently on a writing project and willing to learn more about the Polish literary community. The Residency Program is a perfect opportunity to professionalize writing skills and find the optimal conditions for creative work, and present own writing to the new audience. Learn more about the program from the organizers and the residents!
The call for applications for 2020 is now open. Deadline for application submission is 29th February.
What we offer:
In 2020 the Residency Program in Krakow will offer writers a two-month stay in the following periods of the year:
1st May – 30th June
1st September – 31st October
Residents will stay at the Villa Decius, official partner of the project with years of experience running international residencies, including the Visegrad Literary Residency and the ICORN residency program.
Besides stipend we cover transportation costs to and from Krakow. The Krakow Festival Office will guarantee residents the opportunity to participate in the literary life of the city and help to develop opportunities for them to promote their works in Poland.
What we expect:
- Connection with any UNESCO City of Literature.
- At least one published book (fiction or non-fiction), a poetry collection, screenplay or theatre script by the applicant.
- Work on a literary project during the residency
- Upper-intermediate level of spoken English.
- Interest in the Central European region.
- Readiness to participate in the literary life of Krakow, including events, meetings promotional interviews and engagements, festivals, where applicable.
- Residents will be asked to write a text (work of fiction or non-fiction) that will feature the City of Krakow (min. 6 000 to max. 11 000 characters with spaces) in some fashion and will be used in the future, published collection for promotional purposes.
• Online application form
• Extract from a published text (in Polish or English), no more than 2 pages in length.
• Optional: recommendation letter, letter of motivation
To submit an application, please fill out the application form by February 29th, 2020.
In case of inquiries, please contact Elżbieta Foltyniak, email@example.com.
The Residency Program is a strategic project of the Krakow UNESCO City of Literature Program, operated by the Krakow Festival Office, which will fulfill the priority of strengthening international cooperation in the field of literature and the creative industries. It aims to promote the Cities of Literature Network, provide writers with a platform to showcase their work and talent to a Central European audience, support greater diversity of voices and literature on the Polish and Central European book market and offer local writers the chance to create links with international writers as well.
The Residency Program is realized in partnership with Villa Decius Institute for Culture.