Are you a novice writer or translator? Do you want to develop your skills and establish international contacts? We look forward to receiving your application by the 3rd of November! The CELA project is launching!
If you are a novice writer or translator, this call for applications is for you! The next edition of the CELA (Connecting Emerging Literary Artists) project – an international talent development programme – is going to launch soon. Thirty writers and eighty translators from ten European countries will have the opportunity to develop their literary skills and promote their work abroad. The Krakow Festival Office is announcing a call for applications for a competition to select three writers and nine translators of less popular languages into Polish in order to establish a Polish team for the upcoming edition of the programme. We are waiting for your applications until 3 November.
What is CELA?
CELA is an international, four-year programme, running in 2019–2023, offering three emerging Polish authors the opportunity to meet artists from other European countries, take part in educational courses, consult their work with mentors and present it to publishers and literary agents at festivals in Poland and abroad.
A text sample submitted by the author as part of this call of applications, as well as all subsequent ones prepared during the courses and residencies, will be translated into eight European languages by translators recruited during the selection process. The texts will be available on the project’s web platform.
The CELA project will also involve nine emerging Polish translators who will translate texts from the native languages of the organisations involved in the project: Italian, Spanish, Serbian, Portuguese, Czech, Slovenian, Romanian and Dutch. The participating translators will also be able to take part in training courses abroad and consult their translations with foreign mentors and experienced Polish translators.
Eleven organisations from ten countries (Belgium, Czechia, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Serbia and Spain) are involved in the next edition of the CELA project. An overview of all organisations involved in the project can be found here.
International travels of writers and translators, as well as literary courses and residencies are fully financed thanks to the support of the European Union under the Creative Europe Programme.
Terms and conditions:
We are looking for writers:
- Living in Poland, writing prose in Polish;
- With a good command of English, both spoken and written;
- With at least a few years of writing experience, who have published their first book and/or made their debut in magazines (including on-line);
- With experience in presenting their texts to the public;
- Whose texts have not been translated into more than one of the CELA languages (Italian, Spanish, Serbian, Portuguese, Czech, Slovenian, Romanian and Dutch);
- Currently working on a new prose text;
- Motivated to broaden their horizons and ready to engage in international training courses and residencies during a four-year project.
- Participation in national talent development programmes and creative writing courses will also be welcome.
If you are interested, please send your resume, a one-page cover letter and a fragment of your prose (up to 2000 characters) to email@example.com The deadline for submitting applications is 3 November.
We are looking for translators:
- Translating from Polish into one of the CELA languages (Italian, Spanish, Serbian, Portuguese, Czech, Slovenian, Romanian and Dutch);
- With a good command of English;
- Graduates of university translation studies/courses;
- Starting their translation career, but with some initial experience, which is confirmed by recently completed jobs and commissions.
If you are interested, please send your resume and a one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline for submitting applications is 3 November.
The results of the 2017-2019 CELA project can be found here.