As a result of the online initiative 52 Book Challenge PL, 83,000 Poles declared their will to read at least one book per week this year.Thanks to the Poczytajże! [Read Up!] event, the online community of readers will meet in the real world for the first time by visiting the Krakow bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art, the Bomba café and Bunkier Café.Partners of the event are Krakow UNESCO City of Literature and the Krakow Festival Office.
The three-day Read Up! event, which will take place from the 22nd till the 24th of January this year, is a joint initiative of the Korporacja Ha!art and Krakow journalist and startup creator Marcin Gnat – the author of the online campaign I will read 52 books in 2015.
Cracovians, read with us!
If you want to attend the January event, you can visit the Krakow bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art (Pl.Szczepański 3a, Bunkier Sztuki) to sit down and read books together.Every reader longing for new books will be offered a book for 1 grosz (!) from the catalogue of the publishing house whose portfolio includes writers such asJan Krasnowolski, Marta Dzido, Marian Pankowski, Sylwia Chutnik or Jerzy Franczak.And the catchword “52 books” will entitle you to buy new publications of Korporacja Ha!art with a 40% discount on cover prices.In addition, the first 100 persons who will visit the bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art will be entitled to collect a discount voucher for coffee and become engrossed in their reading in Bunkier Café located near Planty and buy books of Korporacja Ha!art with a discount on the price of coffee in the Bomba café at Plac Szczepański.
A smashing Series of Readings
On Thursday the 22nd of January, at 8.00 p.m. in the Bomba club at Plac Szczepański, as a part of the Read Up! campaign, a Series of Readings will be organised, during which Krakow writers from Korporacja Ha!art: Sławomir Shuty, Joanna Dziwak, Soren Gauger, Łukasz Podgórni and Piotr Marecki will read fragments of their latest books.And on Friday and Saturday (the 23rd-24th of January), during 30-minute sets organised in Ha!art’s bookshop, there will be an opportunity to listen toTomasza Charnasa, the editor of works by Marian Pankowski, Jan Bińczycki, who will read fragments of works by Jan Krasnowolski, and organisers of the campaign: Ewelina Sasin and Marcin Gnat, who will read fragments of books that they have chosen recently.
Organisers of the Read Up! campaign are: Korporacja Ha!art and 52 Book Challenge PL,
Partner:Bomba Na Placu, Bunkier Cafe, Krakow Festival Office, Krakow UNESCO City of Literature,
Media patronage:Radio Krk FM, Dziennik Polski, Rita Baum, Fragile, Hipsterski Maoizm.
The challenge I will read 52 books in 2015 motivates web users to read regularly for the entire year.This campaign began in the last days of December 2014 and, within a very short time, became the most popular event of this kind in the community of Polish users of the Facebook portal.Adding their profile to the group of participants, web users share information about their reading progress, publish their impressions and photographs of books on the Internet and motivate and inspire one another to develop.The organiser gives participants full freedom as to the thickness and type of books.Apart from belles-lettres and scientific books, fantasy books, science fiction books or even thicker drawing books are welcome.
Mark Zuckerberg ‘likes it!’
It is worth noting that one week after the launch of the initiative I will read 52 books in 2015, when it had already attracted over 30,000 participants, Mark Zuckerberg announced that he intends to read at least one book every two weeks and that the following 12 months would be the Year of Books on Facebook.
PROGRAMME OF READ UP!
- the 22nd-24th of January, 12.00 p.m. – 7.00 p.m., bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art (Pl. Szczepański 3a, Bunkier Sztuki); Cracovians, read with us! – reading together and an opportunity to buy a book for one grosz;
- Thursday, the 22nd of January,8.00 p.m., Bomba na Placu (Pl.Szczepański 2/1); A Series of Readings – fragments of books will be read by:Sławomir Shuty, Joanna Dziwak, Soren Gauger, Łukasz Podgórni, Piotr Marecki, host:Ewelina Sasin;
- Friday, the 23rd of January,5.00 p.m. and 6.30 p.m., bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art (Pl.Szczepański 3a, Bunkier Sztuki); Read to Me!– fragments of books will be read by organisers of the event: Ewelina Sasin and Marcin Gnat;
- Saturday, the 24th of January,3.00 p.m. and 4.30 p.m., bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art (Pl.Szczepański 3a, Bunkier Sztuki); Read to Me!– fragments of books by Jan Krasnowolski and Marian Pankowski will be read by Jan Bińczycki and Tomasz Charnas, editors of Korporacja Ha!art;
- During the Read Up! campaign, the catchword:52 książki (52 books)will entitle participants to buy books of Korporacja Ha!art at a 40% discount, to receive 100 vouchers with a discount on coffee in Bunkier Cafe to be collected in the bookshop of Korporacja Ha!art and a discount on the purchase of books and on the price of coffee in the Bomba café.
To learn more about the campaign, visit the website of the organiser here.